How to Keep Pipes from Freezing
The pipes in your home can freeze in cold weather. This can leave you with no water or cause your pipes to suddenly burst, leading to extensive water damage.
Take steps to protect your pipes from freezing and learn what to do if they burst.
- Know where to find your main water shut-off valve and how it works (you will need to quickly shut-off the water supply if your pipes burst).
- Insulate pipes most prone to freezing, especially near outside walls and in basements, crawl spaces, the attic and garage. This can be done with spray foam insulation or foam pipe covers available from building supply or home improvement stores.
- Seal air leaks in your home and garage to stop cold air, using tape, vapor barrier or spray foam insulation. Check windows and doors, electrical wiring, dryer vents and pipes.
- Outdoor faucets are the first pipes to freeze and burst. Unscrew any hoses, turn off the outdoor water supply and let the taps drain.
- If your pipes are prone to freezing, there may be a problem you cannot see. Consider contacting a plumber for advice on how best to protect your home.
- For commercial buildings — protect fire lines by wrapping all lines exposed to the cold. A burst 2 inch sprinkler pipe can cause a lot of water damage!
- Ensure rooms and wall cavities that contain water pipes are kept above 8ºC, especially near the water meter.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage (do you have a bathroom above your garage).
- Open kitchen, bathroom and laundry cabinet doors to allow warm air to circulate in cabinets and around the plumbing.
- If leaving for an extended period of time — close the main valve that supplies water to your home. It is typically located in the basement on the foundation wall (next to hot water tank and mechanical equipment).
How to Prevent or Thaw Frozen Pipes
The pipes in your home can freeze in cold weather. This can leave you with no water or cause your pipes to suddenly…
SELECT Restoration Services
261 Bering Avenue, Unit 2
☎️ Call: 416–236–0660